Most country towns offer periodic markets, but no other town has a market like Wollombi!
The Markets are held in the Wollombi Cattle Saleyards (2978 Payne’s Crossing Road), adjacent to the historic Wollombi village on the holiday Monday of each long weekend, that is Easter, June, October and also on Australia Day. The Markets open at 8am and usually run until 1 or 2pm.
But what makes these Markets so special, apart from the location and the people, is that they are enormous! Over 100 separate stalls are on offer, selling local produce, arts and crafts, plants, clothes, tools, antiques, bric-a-brac and anything else you can imagine.
And if the Markets don’t satisfy every spending urge, the Tennis Club, opposite the sale yards, holds a second-hand book sale on Market days. As a bonus, at the recent winter Markets, hearty hot soup and crusty bread was also offered to warm the soul while book browsing.
A variety of food is available at the Market, ranging from pies, burgers, and chips to Italian and even Spanish fare. And, of course, food is also available on Market days from Myrtle House Café, the General Store, Panino Restaurant, and the Tavern, all located in the Wollombi village.
The large Market also attracts large crowds – usually thousands of visitors – keen to visit the beautiful countryside of the Wollombi Valley in Hunter Valley Wine Country for a day trip or a long-weekend getaway. Many visitors see the Markets as an opportunity to further explore the relaxed atmosphere of the Wollombi Valley, which boasts a wealth of activities, accommodation and attractions, such as boutique wineries, superb natural beauty, and a rich history.
Each of these holiday Markets is operated by volunteers from a different local community group, and so any money raised greatly benefits our small rural community, including the Wollombi Bush Fire Brigade, Laguna Bush Fire Brigade, and Wollombi Progress Association.
Murray and I are regulars at these Markets. Wandering and exploring, never knowing what we’ll find is the major lure. Often we purchase objects that we never even knew we needed! And, above all else, such a big day in Wollombi is a great chance to catch-up with locals, stallholders, and visitors to the region.
Our Insiders Tips for enjoying the Markets:
- Make a weekend of it! Wollombi offers some wonderful country accommodation, such as ‘Somewhere Unique’, allowing for the opportunity to further explore this beautiful region and all it has to offer.
- Dogs are welcome at the Market, so bring the whole family for a fun weekend!
- If it has been recently raining, bring your gumboots as it can be soggy underfoot!
- Bring cash! Most stalls have credit card facilities and the Tavern has an ATM but the internet can be dicey, so to be sure you can make the purchases you want, plan ahead and cash up!
- Arrive early! With so many stalls, and most stall holders loving a chat, arrive on opening to make the most of the day!
- If it’s sunny, bring a hat! If it’s cloudy bring an umbrella! And if it’s winter bring a jacket!
See you at the next Market!
David & Murray